Monday, October 4, 2010

Takoma Diaries

The rain falls this morning as I sit at my month long pet-sitting job with two beautiful dogs in an old Victorian house in Takoma Park, Maryland. Its quaint charm is beginning to rub off on me as the dogs and I meander everyday, three times a day, through this multi-culturally diverse dog and cat loving community, filled with writers, artists, musicians, environmentalists and politically left progressives.

Etched into once-wet cement and painted on fences everywhere is the peace sign of the 1960's.  It appears endlessly around town if you're looking, while the quality of acceptance seems to float in the air.

Known as Azalea city, and named after Tacoma, WA, Takoma Park is as close to Montpelier, Vermont, the hometown of my Alma-mater, as I'm going to get minus the clean air, mountainous wilderness and terrain, while living in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.

Nuclear free, co-op oriented, award winning recyclers and supporters of local small business, Takoma Park is filled with families birthed forth from the Pluto in Leo groupie generation.  The rest of us fill in the spaces in-between. Named after Tacoma WA, Takoma Park proffers an Organic Falafal stand, The Big Bad Woof-shopping for the socially conscious pet (where I work one day a week), and many other small businesses.

No comments: